Medicine in the USA is one of the key factors in the social welfare of the population. The government annually allocates huge amounts of money to this area. Despite this, it has not only advantages but also significant disadvantages.
US Medical Facilities
The US healthcare system includes several types of medical facilities:
- private, which generate income;
- private, with no income. They are formed by charitable organizations, national minorities, etc.
Treatment in the United States is expensive because a set of measures aimed at recovering the patient is carried out at the highest level using modern equipment.
A doctor in America is one of the most prestigious professions. Commercial medical centers have impressive cash flow rates, which can be compared with industrial giants.
Moreover, if workers do not like any kind of reform or if they think that they get a small salary, then strikes and mass protests will not take long. In this way, they defend not only their rights but also the rights of patients.
US health care does not include an outpatient unit since a family doctor has been operating for a long time. If there are any symptoms, patients are referred to a family doctor first, and he or she makes a decision where to send the patient. The services of a family doctor, compared with the services of institutions, cost about $150 per 1 appointment.
Medicine in the USA is expensive, and many cannot afford to pay for services. Underinsured patients with chronic or life-altering diseases are forced to seek help from private charitable medical companies like HealthWell Foundation, a leading non-profit organization dedicated to improving access to care for America’s underinsured.
How much is medical care in the USA?
Initially, you should remember that there is no free health care in the United States. That is why all residents of this country should buy an insurance policy.
The authorities explain this approach by an attempt to offset the costs of medical equipment, which is considered one of the best in the world.
Depending on whether an American seeks help or a migrant, there are some particularities.
When visiting the hospital, the patient does not pay the money immediately after the services are provided (the rule is valid in all clinics), and the doctor issues an invoice.
Important: the presence of insurance allows you to pay for a doctor’s visit at a cost of only $20, the rest ($130 or $150), is paid by the insurance company.
In the absence of an insurance policy:
- the average cost of a specialist is $150;
- you can get a consultation with your doctor only after a long wait in a queue.
A day of stay in the emergency room with the possibility of a full medical professional examination is:
- $250 – if you have an insurance policy;
- $670 – for uninsured Americans.
An additional $130 is paid for the work of the specialist.
Federal programs: Medicaid and Medicare
Medicaid Health Insurance System
To get this type of insurance, you need to confirm the low level of financial security. Medicaid can be used by:
- large families;
- disabled people.
With the help of insurance, people with a limited budget and other program participants:
- can go to consultations. A dental doctor is on the list of doctors;
- have the opportunity to treat a disease in a hospital;
- may be vaccinated;
- have the opportunity to purchase prescription drugs from a doctor;
- children can receive preventive care;
- can expect long-term care, for example, if Alzheimer’s is detected.
Thus, the program allows you to get a fairly large number of services.
Medicare Health Insurance System
Medicare is a large-scale state health insurance program. The reform carried out by the state implied its use for citizens over the age of 65, but now it applies to the sick and infirm (the status of “beneficiary”). The program is part of social insurance for which American citizens pay tax. The contribution will be transferred in the amount of 7.65% of the salary.
In the absence of official employment or in the presence of the “entrepreneur” status, the tax is 15.3% of the declared income level.
The structure of the program includes:
- Part “A” – insurance is provided if there is a sick leave;
- Part “B” – implies a visit to specialists (involved clinics are indicated in the policy) and outpatient treatment;
- Part “C” – the formation of specialized insurance plans;
- Part “D” – covers the cost of buying a medicine.
Medical benefits under the terms of the program can be issued by each patient who:
- has chronic kidney disease;
- lives in specialized nursing homes (a nurse takes care of them);
- lives in boarding schools for the weak, and his or her life will be interrupted in the next 6 months.
At the expense of the program, the Ministry of Health pays for immunosuppressants after an organ transplant operation for 1 year (an antibiotic costs about 5 thousand dollars a year).
According to the rules, the department allows you to arrange additional insurance for Part “B” to citizens, provided that:
- they have achieved a certain age – 65 years;
- US citizenship or union states whose residents have the right to permanent residence in America or have lived on its territory for more than 5 years.
Important: if the policy of part “A” is issued, “B” can be issued automatically without any difficulties.
The democratic option does not allow citizens who have sufficient work experience to rely on social material assistance but they can voluntarily participate by transferring the appropriate contributions (without involving employers).
Healthcare in the USA: Advantages and Disadvantages
The healthcare industry in the United States has both pros and cons.
The most significant advantages include:
- Government support;
- A high rating in the field of medical tourism;
- The use of modern technology for every person, regardless of their social status;
- The importance of professional medical ethics;
- High level of medical education.
The cons of health care in America include:
- The high cost of medical services;
- Medicines can be purchased only with a prescription from your doctor.
It follows from the above that the US healthcare system is a world leader in the quality of treatment. In any case, each person independently determines for himself the positive and negative sides of the medical sphere in America.